Question
Posted by: El-Jo | 2004/09/21

Rambling again

Dear Cybershrink
I’m sorry for bugging you with all my questions, and for the most part very annoying ramblings. I have great deal of respect for my shrink, but I still think you are the best. I know that I really need to see a counsellor. The one I’ve been seeing has left the country. One of problems about seeing a shrink is that I’m tired of all the subterfuge. Colleagues have to cover for me, because my husband won’t allow me to see a shrink, and he mustn’t know of any of these visits. I would like to keep my visits to a shrink private, but it is not possible under these circumstances.
Seeing a psychologist is sort of acceptable, but seeing a psychiatrist seems to be a real problem for my colleagues. One of them even asked me if I’m dangerous. I’m still shocked by that. That came from a person who is on anti-depressants and had to see a psychologist for this condition. As for me - to name a few of my problems - I’m supposed to be Bipolar with Borderline, Schizoid and Schizotypal personality disorders, with some obsessive tendencies thrown in - a really nasty combination indeed. No shrink has ever denied this when I queried him or her about the validity of this diagnosis. I can just imagine what my colleagues will have to say if they know about this.
I’ve been trying to convince them that I’m being treated for depression, but the trouble starts when they ask me about the meds. I’m taking. I suppose my vague answers don’t help towards delaying their fears that something serious might be wrong with me, and my weird behaviour in general probably confirm their suspicions.
I can be wrong but there seems to be some discrimination even among people who receive treatment for psychiatric/psychological conditions. Some conditions seem to be more acceptable than others. Depression is ok, anything else downright unacceptable for some.

Gosh, between people denouncing themselves for "rambling" and "babbling" ! I think for a husband to obstruct his wife from seeing a shrink, constitutes abuse. And if your colleague who fears violence is on antidepressants, she isn't getting them from any psychologistm as psychologists are not allowed to prescribe medicines. And Depression would indeed be the main point of your therapy, with the other diagnostic words being variations and embellishments of the central depression. I'm puzzled by how darn nozy your colleagues are --- what business is it of theirs WHAT meds you're taking ?
And these prejudices are indeed silly. it's not psych patients who are receiving meds who are dangerous --- it's people with various psych problems who dont get treated at all, who can be risky !

2
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/09/21

Hi El-jo,

I think it's more a fear of the unknown that makes us act & behave the way we do. A lot has also got to do with media & the hype the cause over certain conditions. If you look at some of the horror/scary movies you will know what I mean.
A lot of us as well are uneducated about most of the conditions out there.
Think about it for a while. A few years back, people wouldn't even mention the word AIDS for fear of getting the disease itself. Then later, people wouldn't even touch people that had the AIDS virus.
Now, as we become more informed about the virus & its effects, we are a little more tolerant of those that are HIV+.
I think the reaction most people have on hearing of your condition is that they are merely uninformed, or in some cases, mis-informed.
Don't be too hard on your self El-jo. You will find that as people become more aware of it, they will become more tolerant. For now I think you will have to show more tolerance of them.

Take care, & take it easy,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: J | 2004/09/21

Hi El-Jo
I hear you.
However, I think that you should be upfront and honest with your colleagues. By being evasive will just leave your condition open to speculation amongst them and we all know how things can be blown out of proportion by rumours and gossiping.
I have a friend who is seeing a psychiatrist for similar conditions as yours, and if anyone asks her if she is dangerous she simply replies by saying that she sees a psychiatrist, takes tons of meds, so they should know better than to mess with her!!!!

You should really re-consider seeing a shrink.Ultimately it is for your own good, and not your husband or your colleagues!!

Good luck.

Reply to J