Question
Posted by: Liza | 2010/07/21

Raise messing with my head....

I received my yearly raise letter this morning. It works out to a 2.6% raise - that''s 2% less than inflation. Now I don''t know whether they want me to resign or whether they made a mistake, but Friday is payday and our department head can only discuss it with me next week. I''m sitting at my desk swallowing the tears. I can''t concentrate on my work. All I can think is WHY? I''ve been so stable since last year November. I haven''t received complaints about my work and my boss has been giving me more and more difficult tasks to do which suggests that there isn''t anything wrong with my work. Yes I do use more sick leave than others, but it''s not as if I''m sick every month.... I didn''t even go off the rails when my Dad died in March.... But right now I''m feeling very depressed....

It sounds really offensive. Be cautious about assuming it is intended to make you resign - and such manipulaion to push someone to resign is, I think, Constructive Dismissal, and forbidden in labour law. No way your manager would be giving you ANY dificult or ceritical tasks if they doubted your abilities or stability. And they should not punish anyone for being sick - and I think that is fixed in labour law, too. And if they have problems of any sort, they are REQUIRED to discuss these with you and give you, with their help, help to remedy any problems.
Can you arrange to talk with him/her ? And with HR ? They owe you an explanation, at least ?

9
Posted by: Tiny | 2010/07/23

Hi Liza ,I agree with Anon, I also was retrenched after 30 years, the shock and everything that goes with it is hectic, so take what you''ve got and be thankfull and in the mean time look for something else if you unsatisfied with your salary.

kind regards

Reply to Tiny
Posted by: anon | 2010/07/22

Rejoyce and be THANKFUL you have a job...i was retrenched on Friday afternoon...in this econony you can be lucky you are not forced to take a reduction in salary, and under certain conditions they can do just that.

So please dry those tears and thank the Lord that you have a job to drive to tomorrow morning, its a lot more than many of us have.

Reply to anon
Posted by: Matshidiso | 2010/07/21

but didn''t you have a performance appraisal where you rated yourself and your boss rated you (with justification from both sides) and you come to a consensus instead of getting this rather ubrupt rude awakening?

Reply to Matshidiso
Posted by: Maria | 2010/07/21

Liza, don''t let Friday being payday put you in a flat spin. Think carefully and calmly about what you want to say to and ask the department head. Write it down.

Put down 3 or 4 reasons why you feel you are a valuable employee. Mention that you''ve been doing more complex work and that you never received any negative feedback. I don''t think you should say anything about your illness unless he/she brings it up. Just say that in the light of the above you think you earned a better increase, could they help you to understand how they decided on the increase you got?

You can email this to the dept head prior to the meeting if you will find that easier than explaining all of it at the face 2 face meeting. When you meet, be calm and assertive. You know what you''re worth and you want to understand why you are not earning it. It''s as simple as that, you give them your time and expertise, they must give you a decent salary in return.

What''s the worst that can happen? They say sorry but we do no think you''re worth more, or these are the reasons why we don''t want to pay you more. Fine, then you either look for a new job or ask for very specific pointers on how you can improve your performance and earn a better raise. Maybe they gave everybody a small raise because that is all they an afford? Or perhaps they are paying you a small salary because they can get away with it, and you haven''t insisted on anything better.

It is hard when you have a mental illness to stand up for your rights if you had meltdowns at work. Been there, done that, got the tear-soaked t-shirt... but people respect you if you do.

Good luck!

Reply to Maria
Posted by: XXX | 2010/07/21

That does seem rather low but you must not forget that many people got no increase this past year and in many cases,lost their job.
No harm in asking your manager where you fit in iro increases generally etc.
If you are really that unhappy then why not look for another job that pays better! You mention that you are underpaid anyway.

Reply to XXX
Posted by: Liza | 2010/07/21

I don''t know what others got, but I do know that my salary is 16 percent of what our client pay our company for me as a dedicated resource.

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Maria | 2010/07/21

Liza do you know how much other people in your company got?

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Liza | 2010/07/21

What makes it even worse, is that I''''m earning a little more than half of what others with my qualifications and experience are earning....

Reply to Liza