Question
Posted by: billybob | 2005/01/05

radius problem

my 3 month old german shepherd cross has been conditionally diagnosed with a deformity of the radius. X-rays show that the radius in her one front leg is a little longer than the ulna. the vet says this causes her foot to turn out and her to favour it a bit- she doesn't carry it but walks with less weight on it.he says wait and see if better nutrition for a month fixes it (she was previously a stray) .Meanwhile the other foot also seems turned out now, but not as much and it doesn't seem uncomfortable at all. she is having vet's choice large breed puppy pellets, amount for adult weight 40kg.Your opinion?

There are several possible reasons for this condition to develop, and x-rays of the affected limb are necessary to make a specific diagnosis. Some conditions will be resolve by themselves, while other conditions may need surgical correction. If the condition continues to deteriorate, go back to your veterinarian and ask him to look again and repeat the x-rays. If necessary, ask him to refer you to a specialist surgeon for a second opinion, as some of these conditions can lead to permanent deformity.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

3
Posted by: Chill | 2005/01/08

Phew!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: billybob | 2005/01/07

no of course she doesn't weigh 40kg yet! She weighs 9 kg.The vet said to feed according to projected ADULT weight of 40kg

Reply to billybob
Posted by: Chill | 2005/01/06

Interesting question... let's see what the vet says.

Does your 3-month-old pup weigh 40 kg already?? You sure it's not a german shepherd cross horse, or something? The adult weight for a Shepherd female is around 32-35 kg... and if you're accidentally overfeeding her, then the increased weight isn't going to help her leg problems.

Something interesting which may or may not be relevant: I had a pedigreed Shepherd male who had a really BADLY undershot jaw when he was a growing up. I thought I'd not be able to show him because of this, but it resolved itself and by the time he grew up he had a perfect scissor bite. So I know from this that skeletal development doesn't always seem to make sense every inche of the way... maybe you'll be lucky, as you and your vet hope, and the rest of the bones will still catch up!

Good luck!

Reply to Chill