Question
Posted by: cherokee | 2004/01/29

Radical Hysterectomy & Yeast Infections

I had a radical hysterectomy 5 years ago at the age of 32, because of cervical/uterin cancer. Now I get yeast infections all the time, especially after intercourse. It seems that as soon as I think it is gone...it comes right back. What would cause these, and how can I stop them? I feel like I am in a never ending circle, and don't know what to do to control it. This never happened before the surgery. I was wondering if the main cause was the lack of a uterus where more bacteria may live. I have tried the over the counter medications, but it seems like they burn and make it feel irritated.

It is hard to say why you are getting yeast infections now. It may be related to a poor immune system if you have had cancer. Thrush is notoriously difficult to get rid of, but chcek the archives for measures to prevent recurrences.