Question
Posted by: Mom | 2008/01/05

Rabies vaccs

My daughter was bitten by a domestic dog approx. 5 weeks ago. She was given a course of Verorab and they suggested that if the dog was still ok in a weeks time, she could stop. We contacted the owners 19 days later and the dog was still perfectly fine. It had also been to a vet who proclaimed it healthy, but not up to date with its vaccines and faxed me a letter. We did, however, continue though with the course and it is now complete. My questions:
If the dog was still fine 19 days later does it mean it didn't have rabies?
What if it was still in the incubation period? Could it spread the virus still?
She was not given the immune globulin as they said this was for high risk cases only. Would the course of Verorab still work if she was infected?
I have spoken to the doctors, nurse and vet and they all say I should not worry, but I am really sick over this. Please advise.

Dear Mom

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

You definately have nothing to worry about because it seems like if the dog is still healthy and your daughter received the correct treatment.

Kind regards