Question
Posted by: Shan | 2007/11/30

Rabbit

I am interested in getting a rabbit for my daughter. Do rabbits only eat vegetables or can I get special pellets for it?

Rabbits teeth grow at about 2mm per week and they are grass eaters. Fresh grass contains small crystals that are released when the grass is chewed and they help to keep the teeth worn at the same rate as they grow. If rabgbits are fed vegetable and pellets the teeth become overgrown and the rabbits suffer terribly. So, by all means get a rabbit pet but please feed it grass - 90% of the diet should be grass. Look up House rabbit society on the internet.

1
Posted by: jax | 2007/11/30

Rabbits can make great pets, but they do need quite a bit of attention. You'll need to make sure that it has a safe, warm hutch to sleep in, and that it is taken out daily under supervision for a run. If the hutch is outside, you'll need to 'bunny-proof' the area, by laying mesh underground, and covering it with at least 6 inches of soil. Don't keep your bunny on a concrete floor, as it can cause many health problems. There are specific rabbit pellets available from most pet shops, and these should form his staple diet, but a variety of fresh vegetables should be given as well. Some veggies aren't suitable - cabbage is one, as it can cause bloat. They also need fresh clean water at all times.

Having listed all the things you'll need to do (!!), rabbits are generally fairly easy to keep. If they are hand-raised, they become very affectionate, and as long as you feed and house them correctly, and give them daily excercise and stimulation, they have relatively few problems. One thing to look out for are tooth problems - many rabbits develop overgrown incisors. They can be kept in small houses or apartments, as long as you take them out daily, and their own hutches can be reasonably sized. The food is not too expensive, and fresh veg should be chosen from what is in season.
Just make sure that you don't end up with two of opposite sexes even if they are siblings - the phrase 'breed like rabbits' was thought of for good reason!

Reply to jax