Posted by: Gwynn | 2009/02/17

R there Neuro-Psychiatrists in JHB?????

Please can you tell me how I can find out where, in the JHB area it is possible to contact a Neuro-psychiatrist. I was on vacation in the UK and took a very bad spill from my bicycle down an embankment and landed with my head on an wooden poll.
I needed a few stitches to be put into my upper scalp area but the Neurologist there said that he would strongly advise that once home, I contact a Neuro-Psychiatrist as I have been having difficulty since the accident to pronounce certain words incorrectly, am uncharacteristically extremely moody and at times, my sense of smell and taste is not quite right.
This specialist thought that the combo of a Neuro-psychiatrist would be ideal for me. I have phoned about 11 psychiatrists in the book to ask if they know of a Dr who is a N.S. (everyone said no) and I then phoned as many Neurologists as I could find - again, the same answer. " Sorry, can' t help you." 
It' s been 6 days now since my fall and returning back to SA so I do not have a GP I can ask so find myself in a bit of a bind. This Dr in the UK did not want to put me onto my psych medications until I have had a thorough assessment.
Thanks for any help


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Neuro-Psychiatry is actually not a recognized sub-speciality, either in the UK or in SA. But in both countries, there are good neurologists capable in psychiatric aspects of the problems they see, and good psychiatrists competent to consider neurological aspects. Symptoms like disordered smell and taste would be best assessed by a neurologist in the first place --- some of the nerves to the nose can be damaged in such head injuries, affecting smell and taste. And they should be able to assess other aspects of the after-effects of a concussion / head injury. So start there. IF the neurologist considers there are further psych aspects, he/she can refer you to a psychiatrist for further assessment. A thorough neurological assessment must be the priority.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Gwynn | 2009/02/19

Hi there Hill - if you could pass any names on to me of neuropsychologists I would be most grateful.
I was told by an ex, South African cardiologist that there ARE now a number of Neuro/Psychiatrists in South Africa, 3 of those being in the JHB area. But silly me, I did not ask for him to write down the number as I did not think that the Dr' s here in SA would not even be aware that there actually ARE Neuro/Psychiatrists amongst them. :-(

Thanks for the feed back, appreciate it (sorry I was away for a couple of days and only got to read my mail now....)

Reply to Gwynn
Posted by: hill | 2009/02/17

I wonder if you could be referring to a neuropsychologist? These are psychologists who specialise - as far as I know - in the psychological aspects of neurological damage: they assess the changes in your functioning, and can help with developing ways of coping with this.

Reply to hill

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.