Posted by: Dee | 2008/07/18

&quot Turkey Baster"  method

We are planning to try a home insemination using the infamous " Turkey baster"  method. We have read a few articles on the internet about the procedure - but there is one or two things I am not sure about - as all the information sites seem to have a different answer.

How long can the sperm survive once ejaculated? Does one insert it immediately - as some sites say one should allow it to " liquify"  for a few minutes? And apaprently you must not " squirt"  it too close to the cervix? Does the type of container the sperm is deposited in really make a difference - other than the fact that it should probably be sterilized?

Thanks in advance for the info!

Dear Dee

The best advice is to do an insemination under supervision of a skilled practitioner. However if you are contemplating a home insemination then you certainly will need to wait for adequate liquefaction to occur first. Sperm may survive in the female genital tract for up to 3 – 5 days. This pertains to the upper genital tract i.e. the uterus, fallopian tubes and not the upper vagina or cervix. The container is of utmost importance as there are certain types of polyurethane’s and that may be spermicidal and toxic to sperm and these should be best avoided. The issue of sperm container sterility is obvious but disinfectants or soaps should not be used as these may also be spermicidal.

Answered by: Dr.M.I. Cassim

Posted by: Ollie | 2008/07/21

Hey Dee. What are you going to be using? If you' re using a syringe, be sure to suck up an airbubble first, so that the sperm doesn' t touch the black rubber thingie inside the syringe - it' s made of latex, which, of course kills sperm. Other than that, yes, give it a minute or two. If I may ask, what is the reason why you are doing turkey basting??

Reply to Ollie
Posted by: Dee GTC | 2008/07/18

It is true - you need to leave the sperm to separate and liquify before you insert it, this seperates the sperm from the semen. Semen has protaglandins in it and this can cause major cramping if inserted into the cervix. I dont think the type of container matters much but just dont use any harsh chemicals or detergents to sterilize.

Reply to Dee GTC