Question
Posted by: quotation | 2005/11/28

quotation

The most important thing in communication is to hear what isn't being said.
Peter Drucker
American (Austrian-born) management writer (1909 - 2005)

Two useful
comments

1
Posted by: Buzz | 2005/11/28

The Art of Listening

Could you just listen?

When I ask you to listen to me and you start to give me advice, you have not done what I asked.

When I ask you to listen to me and you begin to tell me why I should not feel that way, you are trampling on my feelings.

When I ask you to listen to me and you feel you have to do something to solve my problem, you have failed me, strange as that may seem.

Listen.

All I ask is that you listen, not talk or do, just hear me.

I can do for myself, I am not helpless. I may be discouraged and faltering, but not helpless.

When you do something for me that I can and need to do for myself, you contribute to my fear of inadequacy.

But will you accept as a simple fact that I do feel what I feel, no matter how irrational, then I can quit trying to convince you and get about the business of understanding what is behind this irrational feeling. When that is clear, the answers are obvious and I do not need advice.

Irrational feelings make sense when we understand what is behind them.

Perhaps that is why prayer works, sometimes, for some people, because God is mute and does not give advice or try to fix things. God just listens and lets you work it out for yourself.

So please listen and just hear me.

And if you want to talk, wait a minute for your turn, and I will listen to you.

Reply to Buzz