Posted by: icon | 2008/07/17

quite urgent - morning after pill

Hi There

a friend of mine had her last period 10 june. last weekend we went away for the weekend and she had forgotten her " protection"  at home and she and her bfriend of 4 years had unprotected sex. she took the morning after pill on monday, and she just gave me a call to say she still doesnt have her period. could the pill have caused this delay, and also, if she is indeed pregnant, could this pill harm the baby in anyway?
pls get back to me asap as i told her she should rather have a blood test done as it is very accurate, but she is still staying with her mum and doesnt want her mum to find out (results will be sent to the doc and her mom is friends with him...dont want the result to be sent to him...just to be safe)
i told her she can move in with me should she be pregnant. but ja, we need to know if the baby will be safe.

The morning after pill can cause a delayed period. If she is pregnant, the baby will not be harmed.

Posted by: Dee GTC | 2008/07/18

Before you start making plans to move I think a normal preg test from Clicks (R20) will give you a pretty accurate answer. No-one will see these results except for her. But I think the morning after pill is probably the reason for the delay. If she started on the 10th June then last weekend would have already been near the end of her cycle - not sure how long her cycle is so its not really possible for her to have fallen pregnant at that stage. I would wait another few days and then do a test if nothing happens.

The morning after pill will not affect the baby should there be one.

Personally I would rather not use the morning after pill as a contraceptive because it really messes up your hormones.

Reply to Dee GTC