Question
Posted by: AAA | 2007/05/09

Quit smoking - hypnotize

Hi there.

I want to quit smoking and apparently I can get hypnotized. What is your take on this? I am a bit sceptical, must admit.

Thank you.

Remain sceptical. There is no good evidence that hypnosis, usually offered by quacks, can usefully and permanently end smoking, whereas other forms of therapy from properly trained and registered mental health professionals, along with proper use of medications like nicotine patches and others meds can be very useful.
Expect that a local fanatic, Homoeopsych, too mean and lazy to set up his own web-site and who preys on this one, will soon post a message, as he usually does, praising hypnosis totally uncritically.

6
Posted by: Shae | 2007/05/09

So how was that smoke? The one thing i dont miss is the taste in one's mouth and the smell.

Yip, 50% oriental & 50% indian.

Reply to Shae
Posted by: John | 2007/05/09

Shae (I keep wanting to put a consonant into your name, like an "r" or a "k" - and its such a lovely name too. Oriental in origin?)

You are right. I often tell myself that if I play the lotto and hope to win (at odds of 14 million to 1) then why am I sure that I won't get cancer (at odds of 20 to 1). Yet I believe I can win the lotto and not get cancer.

I suspect that I am pretty good at rationalising it to myself so I keep on doing it.

I really am not going to enjoy that next smoke!

Reply to John
Posted by: Shae | 2007/05/09

I arm myself with a bag of spicy beef biltong chips. I tell you, it tastes a heck of alot better.

Perhaps the more you tell yourself eactly what you say above, the more you'll want to quit John? And, perhaps one day you'll actually start doing it as a result.

Reply to Shae
Posted by: John | 2007/05/09

Impressive stuff, Shae - I must admit that I am envious. As a smoker, I am often torn between enjoying my smoke and feeling guilty that I do so.Like many, if not all, smokers, I know that the damn stuff is no good for me and I am seriously damaging my health.

The trick, which you seem to have mastered, is to 'simply' stop. I often wonder about stories I hear about smokers, when told by the doc that they have cancer and are about shuffle off this mortal coil wheezing and coughing, are able to quit instantly and sorely regret not being able to do retrospectively.

Damn, now I know I'm not going to enjoy that next smoke.

Reply to John
Posted by: Shae | 2007/05/09

I started smoking when i was 19, am now 29 and made the decision last week to quit smoking. Did it cold turkey and so far so good. Do have a serious case of the munchies tho but otherwise just keep myslef busy to not think about it, especially at those times of day i would normally have had one like just after breakfast with some coffee.

You must really be dedicated to quit otherwise no therapy or patch can help. Once you've made up your mind to quit, and seriously so, you may find you an do it yourself without the aid of other techniques, thats what im doing.

Good Luck

Reply to Shae
Posted by: HomoeoPsych | 2007/05/09

Hi AAA<br><br>Kaplan & Sadock's Synopsis of Psychiatry (9th Edition, 2003, pg 843), states that "Hypnosis is effective in smoking cessation ....... Some patients exhibit a moderately high relapse rate and may require repeated programs of hypnotic therapy (usually three to four sessions)."<br><br>The answer to your question, therefore is, yes, hypnosis can help.<br><br>The problem one often finds here, however, is that in order for interverntion to be successful in assisting someone to stop smoking, they actually have to have made the decision of will that they are going to stop. Hypnosis is no exception. Unfortunately, some people have the belief that hypnosis is a magical intervention that can "make me quit", with little or no effort on their part. I rare cases this does happen, but is usually not the case - you really do have to wabt to quit & be willing to work at quitting.<br><br>Hynosis can help in a number of ways - it can boost motivation & will-power, it can help with blocking of habitual response patterns, it can produce an aversion to cigarettes (although I personally don't like aversive techniques) & can assist in reducing physical withdrawal symptoms. Often smoking also has a psychodynamic, compulsive element, which hypnosis can be quite useful in exploring where this is necessary, as it often is in cases where other approaches (such as smokenders or Zyban have failed).<br><br>Go well

Reply to HomoeoPsych