Question
Posted by: Stew | 2008/06/03

quit smoking = cravings

My BF quit smoking a month ago, now he is craving sweets all the time! I have to stack up with chocolates & sweets every 3rd day. He has gained a lot of weight. He can't start excersising now,as he hurt his knee a while back, and needs to start with physio first. What can he do / use that will ease the cravings. I also wanted to quit smoking but seeing what it does to him... no thanks to weight gain.

Dear Stew
The fact that your boyfriend has stopped smoking is excellent and will do his general health a great deal of good. However, it is not a good idea that he has now replaced one craving with another, namely for sweets and chocolates which are causing weight gain. I wrote an article on this important subject recently, so click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and do a Search for 'Stopping smoking' to read all the tips for overcoming these temporary problems, such as cravings. If you follow the advice then you too can quit, but without gaining weight. Encourage your boyfriend to have the physio and get his knee healed so that he can start exercising every day to counteract the effect of the sweets and chocs. In the meanwhile he should investigate if he is allowed to swim (heated pool at this time of year) without harming his knee as swimming is an excellent exercise that can help him to lose weight.
Wishing you both all the best

1
Posted by: jen-jen | 2008/06/03

I quit smoking 120 days ago and picked up a total of 10 kg's. The cravings will stop and my weight gain remains constant now for more than a month. I know its difficult but its worth it. I went through a period of hot flushes and now I am battling with sinus problems. The hot flushes started after the first month until month 3. the sinus started month 3 and I have been battling for 2 months now. but it is still worth it.

Reply to jen-jen