Question
Posted by: Frankie | 2007/06/14

Quick weight loss?

I'm trying to lose 6kg over a two and a half week period. I know it is not ideal but I need to do it for a specific event. My diet is as follows:
07:00 1 Cup of cooked Oats and protein shake
10:30 Protein shake (808kj)
13:00 Steamed Hake and steamed vegetables
15:00 Protein shake (808kj)
18:00 Steamed Hake and steamed vegetables
I do 40-60 min aerobic exercise per day and take CLA capsules as well as a Vit C tablet daily. I drink plenty of water.

Question: Is this very harmful to my body? I don't feel bad, maybe a bit tired at times but then I take a rest day from exercise.

Frankie

Dear Frankie
As you say, this is only for a short period that you will be using this diet. I presume that you are feeling tired because the diet is so low in carbohydrates. The shake probably also contains most of the vitamins and minerals you require (e.g. calcium, iron, zinc, etc), so for a short time you can probably use this diet to try and achieve your weight loss of 6 kg, but please don't continue after the 2,5 weeks as you do need carbs and the very high protein intake can damage your kidneys.
Take care