Question
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/10/29

QuestionTo: Inc. & CS

Morning,

Inc., thanx for that stunning info on HIV re-infection yesterday. It just made me aware how we can sometimes be so ignorant.
I have a question though if you don't mind; Is it possible, that if the hubby & wife are certain that they initially got the virus from each other, that condoms, or safety measures might not be necessary? Say like, if they have never fooled around & got the virus from a third party, or never had blood contact with a + individual, & they are absolutely sure that they have contracted the virus from one to the other, & medical tests confirm they have the same strain of virus, & they are totally forever committed to each other, would safety precautions still be advisable??? Sorry but this thought has been nagging me... Again, thanx for your always dependable knowledge & advice.

To CS: Does a virus like the common flu virus have the capability of negatively affecting your state of depression, or even adding to your stress? I know on initial assumption it would seem quite obvious that it may very well do this, but I would like to know if this can seriously affect an individual & maybe have a down-ward spiralling effect on the individual's health?

Thanx guys, & I really appreciate your input. CS, thank you so much for your kind words yesterday. You've got me thinking, as in true SA government fashion, whether I should just without any consultation up the value of my words to maybe 20 cents worth??? Just kidding...

Have a great day further,
Cheers,
Shaun

PS: CS, sorry for using your forum to get info on HIV.

Hi Shaun,
No problem about tapping the resources of our ever - resourceful bunch !
One of the problems with some viruses, AIDS and Flu, though not related, sharing this characteristic, is that they keep mutating and changing, so even if we develop immunity to one version, that may not work against another version --- which is why they need to manufacture a new type of flu vaccine every year, based on whatever new flu strain is prevalent this time round. These viruses are a bit like a Rubik's Cube, if you can remember that old toy. In a way it's wlays a cube, but just a flick of the fingers, and the outer pattern has changed again.
And yes, very definitely, several types of virus, and Flu is an especially bad culprit in this regard, can drain one and cause or worsen a Depression, something which is well-established in research and experience.

5
Posted by: Lucia | 2004/10/29

Thanks JM for your valuable input - I always say that every drop in the bucket helps.

One of the products distributed by the company I work for is an HIV/AIDS educational/management package. You know, it is scary just how serious this awful desease is and even more scarier how little people care about the actual facts just because they are not directly affected (i.e. infected family member or friend).

Very few people are realy interested to learn the facts because most people think that they will cross that bridge when they come to it - then it is normally too late. The ever alarming rates of infection can be stopped but only with proper education and by that I mean education before the damage is done.

The other problem is also those who are forever trying to figure out how a person was infected - IT DOES NOT MATTER ! The HIV does not distinguish between white, black, female, male, child, rich, poor, etc. Knowing how a person got infected, will not make it go away, but trying to prevent another from becoming infected (by education adn more education) might save a life !

Just as a matter of interest and no cheating now by going to a different site - off the top of your head - can anyone of you tell me what the abrev HIV stands for ? Just test yourself for one sec - you will be surprised how much education has yet to be done.

You keep well

Reply to Lucia
Posted by: JM | 2004/10/29

Hi Shaun,

It is a pleasure and I got the info from the other forum. They are a real helpfull bunch.

I am glad that although the discussion got a bit out of hand yesterday that at least it made some people aware of the real dangers.

Unfortunately there is still a lot of education to be done, you will be surprised to see how many people think it is only a black or gay illness.

I am very fortunate to work for a company that ensures awareness if it wasn't for that I would've been one of the rest that thinks HIV won't affect me.

Well at least I can also say now that you are a great person and everyone respects your valuable inputs.

Verskoon asb die skewe Engels!

Ta-ta!
JM

Reply to JM
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/10/29

WOW!!! Thanx JM. You have just made me realise how very little I really know about this condition.

Makes me think about the saying; "To the world we might be just one person, but to one person we are the world."

& yes I do know that not even the common flu virus has an available cure.

Thank you JM, you have succeeded in making me just that bit more scared & aware of the precautions that always should be considered, & I really do appreciate your valuable input.

I will try also posting on the other forum.

Cheers,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: JM | 2004/10/29

Sorry me again, maybe this can help.

Re-infection is a term used to describe a new or secondary infection by a virus that has already infected a person. In most viral diseases, re-infection with the same virus doesn't occur because once the immune system conquers the original viral infection, it creates immunity against that virus. Re-infection occurs almost constantly, however, in some types of infection, such as the cold or flu viruses, because each new version of those new viruses is substantially different from the last. This is why a person may develop immunity to the flu strain that is common in one year, but still be at risk from the strain that becomes dominant the next year.

Coinfection with two different HIV strains (also called reinfection or superinfection) does indeed occur, and has been scientifically documented. How often this occurs and under what circumstances is still being evaluated.

Treatment in cases of superinfection is very complicated, one of the strains may be drug resistant.

Reply to JM
Posted by: JM | 2004/10/29

Shaun,

I don't think INC is online today. Why don't you pose the question the HIV forum?

Reply to JM