Question
Posted by: Questions re. Vitamin B-complex | 2007/05/09

Questions re. Vitamin B-complex

1) I've been taking Vitamin B-complex for a month now, but find that my face and esp. my eyelids have become really puffy and red.
Is oedema and redness a possible side-effect of Vitamin B?
My haemorrhoids have also worsened, I tend to have an upset tummy and some heart palpitations.
Is this an indication that I'm not deficient in Vitamin B?
2) Can a blood test determine if I'm deficient in Vitamin Bs?

Dear Reader
It is possible that you are reacting to one or other component of the vit B complex formulation, if not one of the vitamins, then a potential additive (colourant, stabiliser, etc). The fact that your haemorrhoids have worsened is due to the diarrhoea, which is probably caused by the excess B vitamins. I am not sure if the heart palpitations are due to the vit B complex, but they may be. You can ask your medical dr to send you for blood tests to determine if you are deficient in vit B or not. If you are not deficient in vit B then you really don't need to take the supplement. I would also stop taking the supplement to see if the condition of your eyes, the diarrhoea and the palpitations clear up. If you still have these symptoms after a week, see the dr for an examination as they could be cause by other factors (virus infection, etc).