Question
Posted by: andy | 2004/10/25

questions for Gynae visit

Dear GynaeDoc

I'm am planning to go to a gynae to find out why I am having difficulty falling pregnant. What type of questions should I ask and what should he check for.

I hope Nix has helped.

1
Posted by: Nix | 2004/10/25

You need to tell him how long you're been trying and whether you've been monitoring your ovulation or not. He will then do a standard battery of tests (scan for ovulation, blood tests, semen analysis on your husband, etc). He will tell you exactly what he's testing for.

Don't let him just prescribe clomid to stimulate ovulation. When I called my gynae and said I wasn't pregnant after 9 months of trying, his nurse said I must come in and he will prescribe clomid. This would have been the worst thing to do as I was ovulating perfectly. There was a problem with my husbands sperm.

I went to a fertility specialist for tests and he was extremely thorough and found all sorts of hormoones which weren't quite at the right levels (in both me and my husband).

Good luck!
Nix

Reply to Nix