Question
Posted by: Cherie | 2007/07/18

Question to Dr Cassim

Dear Dr,

Would appreciate your views detail if possible on the following:

1. Is there a way to determine if a woman still have eggs in her ovaries? What kind of tests that are used?
2. What are the symptons of ovarian failure?

The reason I ask this question is that I have attempted my first IVF three months ago after 3 years of TTCing. I used menogon injections and the scan showed only one egg on day 4 and day 5 of injection. I had to unfortunately discontinue with the cycle becuase of poor response to the injections and was told that my ovaries are not functioning.

I am very worried of menopausing prematurely and would appreciate if there is hope or other possible fertility alternative.

I thank you and waiting impatiently for your response.

Dear Cherie

There are several approaches to determining ovarian reserve, including ultrasound for antral follicle count (AFC), AMH levels, Inhibin B levels, as well as routine ovarian hormone levels. They all, if put together, give a fairly reasonable idea of expected ovarian response. Based on this the appropriate dosage and type of ovulation induction agent can be chosen.

1
Posted by: Dee | 2007/07/19

You dont give your age.

Menogon dosage can be increased to produce more follicles (you dont say what dosgae you were on that gave only 1 follicle)

As far as I know ovarian reserve is measured by doing an FSH blood test on day 2/3 of your cycle. You want a number under 15.

Reply to Dee