Question
Posted by: Candice | 2004/11/23

Question regarding food<br>Question regarding food

Hi - my dog was ill about a week ago with a virus and on instruction from the vet we fed him chicken for three days. A problem occurred when we tried to get him back on Vet's Choice Pellets as he started turning his nose up at his food. Someone suggested we use a dessert spoon or two of soya mince to mix in with the pellets. My question is : is soya mince harmful to a dog?

Soya mince will not be harmful, but may possibly cause excessive gas. You can also just mix the chicken into his normal food, and slowly decreased the amount of chicken until he is used to eating his food only again.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

2
Posted by: Pi | 2004/11/24

I had the same experience with my min pin when she had a stomach bug. A harsh method is to just leave it. If he doesn't eat his food, don't give him anything else, he will eventually get too hungry and just scoff his food. You will also find a gravy powder by Bobtail in the super markets, mix with water and pour over their food.

Don't know about the soya mince ...

Reply to Pi
Posted by: Chill | 2004/11/23

I have no idea about the soya mince, but I very much doubt it would do any harm.

However: what's so special about using soya mince particularly to get him back onto his normal food? Why not a few spoonfuls of chicken soup, or gravy, or whatever? Lots of stuff to choose from out there...

Reply to Chill