Question
Posted by: Dead Goat | 2004/10/10

Question on therapist

Hello CyberShrink,

I hope you are well and surviving all the disturbances that have been floating their way into our comforting zone?

This is a question regarding my psychologist. I am concerned at the fact at how she affects my moods-seemingly making me severely unstable at times. I do not think this is healthy. I have been considering seeing another therapist-my problem is I do not think I can- I have finally trusted this therapist and I know she genuinely cares about me. Maybe it is the fact that I might be too attached to her. If I go see another therapist, that means I will have to retell my story (which I am so sick and tired of hearing from myself) and I do not think I can do that, to allow trust or opening up to some new stranger just scares me right off.
I need some perspective on this I value your opinion.

Thanks for your time and effort- you are a genuine person and you still inspire me to help the greater number. *(I just have to sort out myself first)*

Hi DG,
Well, it's a major step forward to find a therapist who you can trust and who you feel genuinely cares about you.
Remember, as very few people seem to, that in good therapy / counselling, we don't only talk about what happened in the past, or even the day before, but also on the agenda should be what is happening right here and now within the therapy itself. So it is valid and often useful for you to raise exactly this sort of issue with your therapst, on the lines of I find I feel I trust you, and feel as if you do care about me ; but I am growing increasingly concerned about how these sessions are affecting my moods, and how at times they seem to increase my instability. Can we please talk about this today ? "