Posted by: BETH | 2008/06/24

On the diet for diabetics you say that I can eat Corn Flakes but on the GI list it is high listed. Please advise me on that. Also Rice Crispies. Can the GI be lowered if I add Oat Bran to it? And how much Oat Bran?

Dear Beth
Even diabetics are allowed to eat carbohydrates that not low-GI. If you use the high-GI carbs together with fat-free milk or yogurt you will lower the GI of the combination. Adding oat bran (say 2T) or raisins or other dried fruit or nuts will also lower the GI of the combination. If you want to use cereals that are low-GI to start off with, then try wholewheat Pro-Nutro or Hi-fibre Bran or have cooked Maltabella.

Posted by: Fifi | 2008/10/27

my mother is diabetic, she is on treatment but her sugar levels don' t seem to be improving. She goes for regular check ups but she is just not on her top health recently. The thing is she normally keeps quite when she is not feeling well but I can always pick it up. She constantly complains about a head ache and her body being sore.

What can I do to assist my mother. any information on the subject will really assist, please help

Reply to Fifi
Posted by: Zexeon | 2008/06/24

Oats, All bran flakes & wholeweat ProNutro are the right cereals because its categorised as a better choice food.

Reply to Zexeon