Question
Posted by: ? | 2007/07/24

Question for CyberShrink

Has there been any research connecting certain mental illness / disorder with any particular personality type, career choice, field of expertise?
Does your parents personality, career, profession play a part in mental illness / disorder?
Where I can I find this info?

I know for instance, there is research which supports the theory that many engineers, mostly in silicone valley, are statistically more likely to have sons with autism.

WOw, that's a much more enormous question than you may think. The answer would probably be that there has been a huge amount of research on many different aspects of these interactions, far too much stuff for me to summarize here. Profession, especially parental, hardlty relevant. Personality tends to shape how you respond to and behave with a particular disorder rather more than whether or not you develop the disorder. I don't know whether the engineers / autism research has held up. remember all the alarming "research" that was recently coming from the UK claiming that the MMR innoculations caused autism --- now that[s been shown to be hogwash, the doctors who claimed to have proved that are facing charges at the medical Council for dodgy dealings, and kids who didn't get the MMR vaccines because their parents got worried, are now in some cases dying of measles, which ought never to happen