Question
Posted by: beckylee | 2007/12/15

Question about cosmetic surgery

I am 24 years old and have dark easily noticeable blue veins under both my eyes. This was a result of drug taking in my teens and not eating properly. I am now fully recovered and healthy however this problem still bothers me as it makes me look much older and always tired. I've tried several creams, drink lots of water and eat healthily to somehow improve blood flow however nothing works. Would you recommend I consider surgery and if so, could you please explain what type of procedures are available for this type of condition.

Thank you.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hello Becky-Lee, thank you for the question.

This is a difficult question to answer over the net. If you only have “blue veins” that are visible, then one may consider laser vein removal. If however, a groove has appeared and/or there is a blue discoloration in the area as well, a number of treatment options exist.
Therefore, your best option is to consult a cosmetic dermatologist, aesthetic practitioner, or plastic surgeon, and have a thorough examination of the area that concerns you.

Following the description you give regarding the veins under both eyes, my feeling is that this will not be solved through surgery, and one should rather consider various non-surgical options.
The choice of treatment will entirely depend on what the cause of the blue discoloration is:
Topical applications such as Cernor XO if the discoloration is due to hemoglobin in the skin.
Filler of the peri-orbital area can be considered if the naso-jugal fat pad has disappeared and is producing a ‘shadow effect’.
Laser: this treatment may be considered for vein removal only.

3
Posted by: francis | 2008/10/02

I would like to no if there is anyone with an opinion of the increase of cosmetic surgery in south africa , whether its local people or anyone with an intrest in the issue , i am doing my Unit 10 course work for my 2nd year at college , and i need stakeholders for my A02 please help ! =D

Reply to francis
Posted by: Mich | 2008/07/25

Dear Doc
I am 48 years old. 7kg overweight (I currently weigh 68kg). I would like to lose 5kg, and then on 15 December, (when our 4 adult children who live at home will be away) have cosmetic surgery done. I dont know what to do first of the fllowing:
1/Sagging neck. Loose (not terrible) jowls
2/Droopy boobs and flabby stomach
3/A " double bum"  under my bum is an extra wedge of fat.
I dont smoke, excercise regularly. I have seen a surgeon who said since my stomach does not " fall over like an apron"  I should leave it. But After I lose the 5 kg it will be worse than now.
I cant book an op until I' ve lost the 5kg, and probably its the surgeons busiest time over Dec.
How can I go about this??

Reply to Mich
Posted by: beckylee | 2007/12/19

Thank you ever so much Doc. Will definitely consider your advice when speaking to a Professional.

All the best.

Becky

Reply to beckylee