Question

question

Re psychiatric/psychotherapy confidentiality. Are therapists entitled to discuss their patients/anonymous details about their patients with their spouses?

Regards Anon

Technically, they're not supposed to, and hardly "entitled" to. To be realistic, I suppose most might discuss some aspect of any specially difficult problem they're working on, with their spouse, but in strictly confidential way - if the spouse might know or be able to identify the patient, they would not discuss the details. What I'm thinking about is when the shrink arrives home looking especially shattered, he/she might briefly and anonymously explain why.
But please, rather post afresh with the relevant details of the sort of situation which seems to be worrying you, as such questions are best answered in reation to a particular example.

1