Question
Posted by: Lady S | 2005/11/17

Question

First of all let me just say that I have absolutely no problems with gay/les people.
I watched Oprah last night. It was about a young man that was sexually abused by his stepdad when he was 8 or 9 years old. He came onto the show to tell people of his trauma so that he could help others to open up. Anyway, he seemed Gay to me.

My question is this, Do gay people choose to be gay because of something that happened in life OR are you just born that way? Please guys, I am really not being "funny" or judgemental here, It just got me thinking. Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Being gay or lesbian is not akin to being a victim of "something that went wrong". Straight people are not straight because of something that happened to them, left-handed people are not so because of some trauma. Lesbians are not gay because of failed heterosexual relationships. Gay men are not the victims of abuse.

I hope this is of value to you.