Question
Posted by: Curious | 2004/12/08

Question

Dear Doc,

I am a firm believer in the practice of safe sex. I am on the pill (Triphazel) and have been for four years now. My fiance and I still use a condom because we just don't want to risk an unplanned pregnancy. The other night our condom split, but I'm not too worried because I am still on the pill. I just want to know when in your cycle are you least at risk of falling pregnant. No-one I have asked is able to answer this. I know you are never 100% safe, but the condom broke on the night following my monthly period and I just want to know if are you more or less fertile at this time of the month. Please advise.

Curious, if you take your pill religiously it doesn’t matter where you are in your cycle, but theoretically the biggest risk is the last day of your inactive (red) pills because that’s the longest you are without protection. Good luck.