Posted by: stupid | 2004/11/05


please expain to me when and for what problems do i need to consult a psychologist and when a psychiatrist. what does each one specialise in

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Both are specialists in mental health, psychiatric disorders ( depression, schizophrenia, phobias, etc ) and in psychological problems of life. A Psychiatrist first qualifies in medicine, so he/she is a fully qualified doctor, who then spends eve more years of study and supervised practice, specializing in this field ; a psychologist is NOT medical, and takes a basic degree in psychology ( studying how the normal mind works ) and then further studies and supervised practise in this field clinically. A psychiatrist is much better able to understand and deal with problems that include physical illness and can prescribe drugs. A psychologist cannot prescribe drugs, and treats by talking treatments like psychotherapy or counselling.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.