Question
Posted by: BC | 2004/11/01

question

I have a female rottweiler and a male cross breed of Chaopei and Chiao Chiao (spelling?)
There is a saying that cross breed lives longer than pure breed, is this correct? How long do you think the male could live more or less?

There is no general rule that crossbreed dogs will live longer than purebred dogs. In general, smaller dogs live longer than large breed dogs, but this is not always the case. It is difficult to give you an accurate estimate of how long this particular crossbreed may live, but I would imagine 12 to 14 years can be achieved.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

1
Posted by: Chill | 2004/11/01

No, this is not correct.

Longevity depends firstly on health, and secondly on size. The smaller the dog, the longer it's likely to live.

A rottie would normally live around 12-14 years, all things being equal. The sharpei/chow cross probably not too much longer than this. Obviously, there are exceptions... I know someone who had a German Shepherd that lived to nearly 19 - but that is very rare.

Reply to Chill