Question
Posted by: Cityman | 2004/01/29

Question

Hi everyone

Can anyone tell me whats the difference between a psychologist and psychiatrist?
Who is the best one to talk to for what or how does it work?

Thx

Cityman, please, PLEASE< check the archives to the forum, as I've answered this question so very often.
A PSychiatrist is a fully qualified medical doctor, who has gone on to specalize in psychological medicine, illnesses and treatments, and is allowed to prescribe medicines, and is able to understand and check physical as well as psychological aspects of such problems. A psychologist takes a basic Backelor's, maybe Master's degree in psychology, with some clinical training in clinical psychology, and cannot prescribe medicines. Both can talk with you and offer counselling.

1
Posted by: Paul | 2004/01/29

I think a psychiatrist is a Psycologist that studied further to become a doctor also, so they are the ones that can prescribe medicine. A pshycologists can offer therapy but not prescribe meds.

Reply to Paul