Question
Posted by: Jess | 2008/05/20

Query regarding MS

I have a friend who was diagnsed with MS a few years ago. Recently her speech has started suffering as a result, with her mixing words up and suffering from a kind of verbal dyslexia, i know MS is near impossible to predict but do you by any chance know what the implications of such symptoms may be? Is the MS progressing/reaching a more disability-inducing state or could it just be a relapse that will go away after time?

Dear Jess
This is one question I can't really answer - MS tends to have relapses and recovery periods, some people have a fast developing kind, others will be fine for years, then have a small relapse. Patients may or may not recover from a relapse. Her treating doctor will be able to determine in view of her previous symptoms if this episode is serious or not.

1
Posted by: kruger | 2008/07/22

My mother has MS. She is totally disabled, her speech is also affected. She is not satisfied with her current situation and care. Do you know of any care centres in Johannesburg or Pretoria capable of caring for MS patients?

Reply to kruger