Question
Posted by: Gail | 2005/07/25

Query for gynae doc and others re: Blackthorn Berry Elixir

Hello there

I just have a query re: Blackthorn Berry Elixir. After reading everyone's postings about the Jungle Juice, I thought _ "I had better make me some of that". However, when I went to my gynae last week for check-up, I mentioned the tonic to him. He seemed quite put out when I asked if it was safe and then said something to the effect that he cannot say yes to my taking it as he is not in the practice of prescribing tonics that are not registered medicines. He said that I could chat to a naturist regarding its safety in pregnancy. When I told my friend at work, she said that when she asked her gynae about the tonic, he gynae advised her to rather take Vita-Thion for energy.

Please could gynae doc shed some more light on this. I would like to make absolute certain that it is safe before I consider buying it. Also why would my gynae and my friend's gynae both steer us away from using it? Do you think it is because it is a relatively new product?

The only way doctors nkow whether medications are safe in preganncy is if they are tested. Many thousands of women would have to take the medication and not have any effects and this would be compared with women not taking the medication, then its safety would be proven. Most natural products are not tested in this way, so their safety is not known.

4
Posted by: chichi | 2016/02/20

I had jungle juice for,the first time and I had a splitting headache,in the early hours of,the morning, the next day I was extremely lethargic and tired throughout The day and my boobs didn't fill for the day. I thought it might be because of all the sweetness( I don't drink that much juice on any day), and considering you have tk finish your mix jn 24hrs. I took the berry elixir on its own in some water and almost instantly i felt lethargic again. Please advise as to what may have been the cause?

Reply to chichi
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/05/06

I just want to know can the jungle juice be used during pregnancy as well? Or should i wait until my baby is born

Posted by: Tracy | 2005/07/26

I am not sure - cos I also rushed out and bought it....

I havnt taken any yet only the berocca. BUT i didnt ask the gynae only my pharmacist and she said it was fine.

It says that it is good for pregnant and lactating women so I am not sure what the problem could be...

The Berocca on its own has helped me (i think) it could also all be in the mind though. But then someone told me Berocca is bad as it can effect the kidneys - probably if you drink too much cos it really tastes nice.

what does the Jungle Juice taste like??

please let me know what you find out okay -

tracy
16wk5d

Reply to Tracy
Posted by: Purple | 2005/07/25

I chose not to take any tonics during pregnancy just in case.

The Schlehen Elixir is often advised during breastfeeding to give you energy, but its full of sugar, so if you are prone to thrush it will give you thrush, and you can get it on your breasts, and your baby can get it in its mouth, this is very painful on the breasts and has stopped some women from breastfeeding.

I'm not prone to thrush and took it in the early days of breastfeeding and it did give me more energy. However, I was also still taking my prenancy multivitamin (chelapreg).

Reply to Purple