Question
Posted by: Dude | 2004/11/15

Quantum Physics?

Hi there...

Just getting into some of this Quantum Physics... wondering if it's good to base everything that happens in the universe on a few theories with no apparent explanation. It's quit weird how in order to build a house one needs a solid foundation and then their is less worry about havin the roof fall on your heads but we have science built on wishy washy theory that builds things much bigger than your average pad...

What happened to finding genius in simplicity... am finding a load of shyte Quantum coming out of peoples mouths most of the time ... why do people try confuse each other when faced with the simplest of questions... why are people so afraid to say "I don't know..." instead they Quantum away about a load of shyte and confuse others and make them feel stupid for askin in the first place...

Weird hey...

Cheers
Dude

Well, I guess you need to start by basing everything on something, don't you ? And remember, with the average pad, you test it by seeing if the walls remain standing if you lean on them --- and real science ( not some of the airy-fairy stuff some physicists and philosophers like to play with ) TESTS its theories. If you truly try to disprove a theory, and it stands up to that test, then maybe it's true ; and at least it;s worthy considering as true enough until you can devise something better. We can't just sit around waiting for absolutely certainty aboyut everything, or we'd still be waiting for someone to Prove that the wheel might work.
But Aaah, you have hit on one of the most important questions of all when you ask why people are afraid to just say "I don't Know" without translating it into gobbledegook to try to disguise that fact. I always rewarded my students for saying "I don't know". Often it's the mark of a really wise man that he knows WHEN he doesn't know, and he knows WHAT it is that he doesn't know. And he's far safer to have around than the guy who knows nearly nothing, but assumes he knows everything.
It's a liberating thing to recognize --- it the teacher / lecturer / author can't explain himself so you can understand it, that's his fault, and not yours. And if he makes you feel stupid, then he's really atrociously bad at his job. You'd never have caught Albert Einstein behaving like that.
Oh, and Mona ? You may be right, but I just need to make sure about that one, i'll get back to you....

2
Posted by: Mona | 2004/11/15

You never say "I dont know" to a question, you say "I just need to make sure about that one, i'll get back to you...." Us females know everything hey!

Reply to Mona
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/11/15

Hey Dude,

Guess we would all like the answer for that one. I generally just think it's basically just the way we are. Know sometimes when you have a problem, like maybe your pc is not working? We kinda automatically go into a panic, assuming all the things that could've gone wrong it. Only to eventually find that the thing wasn't switched on, or the plug wasn't properly in place. We kinda have an instinct to think of the worst things first.
Similarly, when posed with a question, I think we instinctively try to respond, instead of admitting that we just don't know...

Anyway, just my 2 cents bro.

Enjoy,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun