Question
Posted by: Bob | 2004/11/21

Qaudriceps

Hi, I've had trouble with my quads for some time now. I've posted questions to the sports doc & physio but have had no response for a few weeks now. When I play sport, speciffically when I run with long strides, I get pain in the upper part of the quad. I've been going to a biokenetic centre for 3 months now, streetching various muscles and doing strengthening work but there has been no improvement. Do you have any advice on what I should do now? Who else could I go to for a second opinion? Could I have damaged it to the point where I need surgery? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Bob, it might be due to referred pain from the sciatic nerve. What sometimes happens is that the nerve forms adhesions to the surrounding tissues and this causes pain when you stretch the leg. Usually it clears up with stretch exercises, but sometimes it requires more drastic treatment. The best would be to see an orthopaedic surgeon and have him sort it out for you. Good luck.