Posted by: Andy | 2009/05/14


Hi, I suspect that I have a condition called Pyroluria. I' ve searched but found no info on this, or testing for it in South Africa. Do you know of this and if so where can I have a test done? Will a nutritionist be able to assist?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Andy
I would recommend that you ask your medical doctor to contact the pathology labs in your area to find out for you if you can be tested for pyroluria. If South African path labs do this test you need to have yourself tested BEFORE you start any treatment, including dietary therapy because initiating dietary therapy may mask the symptoms and give a false result. If you can be tested and you do test positive, then I would recommend that you initially discuss the treatment which includes injections of vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) and zinc to combat poor absorption by the digestive tract with your dr. Once your vit B6 and zinc levels have improved sufficiently for you to absorb these nutrients from foods and in tablet form I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian to assist you with a diet and to recommend adequate doses of vit B6, zinc and possibly manganese.
I hope you can find a lab to do your test.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.