Question
Posted by: Lady Lea | 2007/05/29

Puuuuurrrrrrrrr........

Why do you cat's do that?

Cats pur when happy and when stressed. The actual mechanism is poorly understood but is thought to be a diaphragm action rather than "vocal". You can block a cat's nose and it will still pur.

3
Posted by: Vampira | 2007/05/29

Apparently that has not yet been proven scientifically. There are theories:
1) Vocal Chords - when relaxed, causes a vibration that comes out as purrrrrrrrr
2) I can't remember the rest! Try google searching 'why cats purr'

I've also heard that cats purr not only when happy, but also when in pain (think cat having kittens, one of mine has purred through the whole experience) or when scared.

Interesting animals...

Reply to Vampira
Posted by: lea | 2007/05/29

Thanks SUN...

I hear it's very healing...

Reply to lea
Posted by: SUN | 2007/05/29

The sound apparently comes from the cat's stomach and they normally purr when they are content and happy and wants love. When my Benjamin came in during the night, he would start purring as soon as he walked into our bedroom - loud like a tractor - jump on the bed and lied down on my chest so that he could rub his chin against my face. I miss him!!!!

Reply to SUN