Question
Posted by: jskr | 2007/05/28

Putting Elderly Cat to Sleep

I'm distraught.

I have an elderly cat +/- 14 years old. She suffers terribly from arthritis, and seems to be going a little dilly in the head. She cannot jump to reach her food bowl, she urinates randomly all over the place, and generally started acting strangely.

I have treated the arthritis, but it hasn't seemed to work.

I feel awful in making the decision to put her to sleep, but I really think it has come to the point.

I am afraid that I might be making rash decisions, but at the same time I don't want to see her suffer...

What do you guys think/suggest?

Although making the decision to put an old "friend pet" to sleep it is often the best thing to do as the suffering stops immediately (for the pet - takes longer for us to recover when they are gone).

5
Posted by: Lou | 2007/06/01

Hi JSKR

I had to put my 19 year old cat to sleep last saturday - It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. It was also the kindest for her. She was also urinating all ove, was blind and deaf and had arthritis.
Do the right thing for your cat, if she is not enjoying her life, then be kind and take her.
I still havent gotten over it, and miss her awfully - but it gets a bit easier with time.

Reply to Lou
Posted by: jskr | 2007/05/29

Thank you for the encouraging words..

Reply to jskr
Posted by: jax | 2007/05/28

Think of it this way...at least you have the option of giving her a dignified death before her health gets too bad. It sounds as if she is ready.
My thoughts are with you,
Jax

Reply to jax
Posted by: Joni | 2007/05/28

As your animals primary care and love giver only you can make this decision, but just by asking the question you know its time.

You need to weigh up her quality of life, her level of pain and her ability to live a whole comfortable life.

Perhaps an assessment by your Vet will help making the decision easier.

I have had to make the decision before and it is one of the hardest decisions an animal lover can make but it is also your responsibility to ensure your pet doesn't suffer needlessly.

We are all here if you need to chat and/or just need comfort.

Reply to Joni
Posted by: SUN | 2007/05/28

I had my old dear put to sleep when she was 19 years old. She also got athritis although I think there was more to it than that - she seem to get paralysed from the feet up and I had her put down as the vet even did not know what to do. It was a hard decision but the best for her as I did not want to see her suffer. I still miss her terribly but I know I did what was best for her. There has been some recent posts on this site regarding the same situation - see post from Lou today. THinking of you!

Reply to SUN