Posted by: Pushy sausage | 2008/09/16

Pushy Sausage

My dog has lost the plot. My one year old daschund has taken to pushing me awake at night. He literally bulldozes me while I am sleeping by shoving his nose/face/head into my neck/face/head to the point that he completely moves me out if the way. he wont let me sleep. I think it' s because he wants out for a pee but he has never done this before so am a bit confused by his new behaviour. I have tried ignoring him but he then pees on the floor - which again I am not sure if this is because he actually needed a pee or is just being spiteful! in response to me ignoring him ( yes he is quite the clever little strategist). He has been fully housetrained, sleeping through the night without any pee-breaks until now. Any thoughts?

Dear Pushy sausage

Take a wee sample to your vet- it may be a bladder infection of some sort. While you wait buy a DAP diffuser to settle him back into his old routine.

Posted by: Pushy Sausage | 2008/10/21

Thanks. He actually seemed to snap out of it shorly after I posted this. He now sleeps right through in his own bed, and barks if he wants out. Yay! But you are right on the nose pushing thing. it' s definitely his way of communicating.

Reply to Pushy Sausage
Posted by: steph | 2008/10/17

hi pushy sausage,

i have two daxies and nose-poking/pushing seems to be the way that they communicate :)

my dogs like to go out to wee at night as well. once you' re ruled out the option of a bladder infection perhaps try teaching him to wee on paper at the back door. my dogs sleep thru the night most nights, but i do have my " emergency loo"  at the back door for them. it works like a bomb.

Reply to steph
Posted by: Van | 2008/09/18

Have you taken him to the vet?
Let me know what happens

Reply to Van
Posted by: Pushy sausuage | 2008/09/17

HI Thanks for the responses. Yes he is neutered. Will take him to the vet and see what happens.

Reply to Pushy sausuage
Posted by: Chill | 2008/09/16

Is he neutered?

There could be a bitch on heat somewhere - their behaviour can change quite radically if that is the case!

Reply to Chill