Question
Posted by: Blue | 2004/03/12

Pups

Hi, my jack russel just had pup, how old must they be before we have their tails cut and when should they get their first inject?

Hi Blue
Please don't have their tails docked. It really is out of fashion, unnecessary and is illegal in many countries. It is usually done by a vet at about 1 to 3 days old, but is traumatic for both the pups and the mother, who hears the screams. As far as I know the first vaccination is at 6 weeks, but please re-post this if you want the vet's advice. The right thing to do is vaccinate them before they go to their new homes at about 8 weeks of age.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

2
Posted by: Chantal | 2004/03/25

I know of two Jack Russell pups who died after having their tails docked, out of shock. Don't do it. It is cruel, traumatic and completely unnecessary. First vaccination is between 6 and 8 weeks. The vet you take them to will give you the follow up dates.

Reply to Chantal
Posted by: M | 2004/03/12

Advice: Don't cut their tails. It's the equivelant of mutilation. It satisfies a purely aesthetic attitude on our side, and in truth, would you not prefer to have your dog be whole, than mutilated?

Reply to M