Question
Posted by: Sindi | 2007/11/28

Puppy's Dewormer

Dear CV.

I am not sure what dewormer the Vet gave him. All she said was it was a broad spectrum dewormer and he got it orally. This was Saturday It was Yellow in colour. I tried phoning her again today, but my timing seems to be out again as she is again with a 'patient'. Not sure if this helps at all.

If it was a yellow liquid it may only do round worms. There are broad spectrum wormers in liquid and tablet form. Some of the tablet forms will do some of the more "resistant" worms as well.

5
Posted by: Chill | 2007/11/28

Good grief - I wish we could get over all this worm business - some people have become obsessed, it seems!

Just deworm your darn dogs every 3 months, and try to get over all this stuff!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Sindi | 2007/11/28

Hi Ice,

I know birds get worms too, but I am not sure if cross-infection between dogs and birds are possible. Also, I think dog and bird worms are different. Best thing might be to speak to your Vet as I am not entirely sure.

Yes, if you are busy treating one dog for worms best is to deworm the others too, and don't forget yourself hey. Also, as I have told one of the other ladies, where the dogs sleep, your house outside the house where they play and also the dogs themselves need to be flea free, especially if your puppy has tapeworm. The flea is a very big part of the tapeworm's life cycle and the dogs can get reinfected over and over again if they have fleas.

Good luck!!

What kind of dog is you puppy?

Reply to Sindi
Posted by: Ice | 2007/11/28

Thanks for the tip, and yes I have read some of them.

I also need to make sure that when she "goes" that i clean up immediately as we have a parrot that has free roam of the house and she might be interested to see what this might be.

Luckily the parot is in her cage during the day when we are ar the office, so it should not be diffycult to control.

I was just wondering, do parots get worms also?

I know when you have a few dogs all need to be dewormed.

Reply to Ice
Posted by: Sindi | 2007/11/28

It's not nice.

Not sure if you have been reading my other posts, but he got his dewormer last Saturday and since last Monday all I have been seeing were the little monsters!!!! Please forgive me for being so blunt about it, but I don't know how else to say it, but what you can do is to lift her tail, pull it up and just below her anus, pull down as if to open slightly, be careful not to hurt her. If she has worms they will pop out when you do that. Gross, I know, but then you will know for sure.

Reply to Sindi
Posted by: Ice | 2007/11/28

My pup was with the vet on Monday and i was given a big pil which breaks in 4 pieces. this should be given to her 1 piece per week for the next 4 weeks and was only R15.

According to a note in my pups register: deworming every 2 weeks for under 12 weeks of age and every 3 months when they are older.

I gave her the 1st dose of the deworming on monday night - still waiting patiently for signs of the little monsters.

Bye,

Reply to Ice