Question
Posted by: JJ | 2004/11/09

Puppy Wolf Dog

Hi.

I have a 8 week old wolf dog. We have dewormed her about 2 weeks ago, but I see that her sides are still thin. Looks like she isnt getting enough food, but she is eating a lot. Is it to soon to deworm her again? Or is there maybe something else wrong with her?

Do not be in a hurry to let large breed puppies grow or become fat, this only creates problems with the bones and joints. If he is eating well and growing steadily, that is all that is necessary. You definitely do not want a fat puppy, that is extremely unhealthy.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

3
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/11/10

Wolves are different to dogs in many ways. I hope you are an experienced handler, or plan to become one.

Reply to Acineth
Posted by: JJ | 2004/11/10

No she is a proper wolf dog, looks like a wolf dog and acts like one. She is a cabin wolf x with another breed wolf. I am taking her to the vet tomorrow afternoon
Thanks for the advice

Reply to JJ
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/11/09

Do you mean you have a husky? My neighbours call husky's wolves, so that's why I ask.

If she's eating then there is no need to panic, but I always take my dogs to the vet at the first sign of something that troubles me. If you're troubled enough to ask here, then its worth the consultation fee. Taking the dogs to the vet early has saved me a lot of money over the years - it appears that conditions are easier to treat the earlier you catch them.

I hope she gains some weight soon.

Reply to Acineth