Question
Posted by: Ice | 2007/12/11

Puppy scratching

Hi Pet aholics,

I have a 10 week old puppy and I have noticed that she scratched as if she might be itching – I have checked for fleas and anything else that might be the cause of this.

Because she is still very young I used some Elizabeth Annes baby shampoo when she had her 1st bath. I also used a flea powder specially for puppies.

I have also ruled out that it might be a food allergy, but she is on Royal Canine for puppies.

She is a Shit Zhu and I have read that they have sensitive skins.

I cannot see any rash on her tummy or skin – any suggestions of what to do or use?

Bye,

Food allergy in such a young pup is unlikely. The itch may be caused by mites so please have you vet exclude these as a cause.

8
Posted by: Pikkie | 2007/12/13

I am in the same household as Ice and Sadie - the famous pup. I too have noticed her scratching and have checked the coat and skin, there is no rash or redness and NO bugs of any sort to be seen. If it is mites what can be the cause and how to one get rid of them? I can vouch for Ice that she have the cleanest most spoilt puppy that I've ever seen and the puppy's bedding is fit for a human baby and washed regularly. We are just worried that this constant scratching might hurt her skin - any suggestions on how to get her not to scratch so much?

Reply to Pikkie
Posted by: Sindi | 2007/12/13

LOL!!!!!!! I know!!! I have to keep you on your toes, you know!!.

LOL!!! Before you start hating me.........I hope you enjoy your long weekend!!

Reply to Sindi
Posted by: Chill | 2007/12/12

Haha, Sindi, you're terribly entertaining :-)

Ice, most dogs get muddy occasionally and normally a rinse with clean water does the trick.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Ice | 2007/12/12

Thanks for the advice, the pup is as white as snow and she was dolled around in red muddy ground so she definitely needed a bath.

Her bedding, including her body has also been checked for any signs of fleas etc. and no sign at all.

I will see how she is and discuss it with the vet if it persists.

Reply to Ice
Posted by: Sindi | 2007/12/12

You don't bath your dogs????? YUK!!!!! I suppose you also don't wash your hair as you then also strip away the natural oils.

Reply to Sindi
Posted by: Chill | 2007/12/11

'First bath'? One of my dogs is nearly 15 and the other is 2, and both of them have yet to have their 'first baths'.

Unless there is a medical reason, it is not necessary or desirable to bath dogs, because all you do is strip out the natural oils which protect the skin, and change the PH, and set yourself up for possible infections.

You don't say how much or how often the pup scratches. It's quite normal for an occasional scratch - only fuss about it if it's excessive or prolonged.

Being on Royal Canin (or any other brand) is no guarantee that there isn't an allergy, there's as much (or little) chance of one of its ingredients being the culprit than any other brand. But that's presuming there is an allergy, and by the sound of it, it's far too early to be making such assumptions.

If you're concerned, best is to see your vet - the pup should be due another batch of vaccinations in a couple of weeks, anyway. Good opportunity!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: felicity | 2007/12/11

Hi,treat as if for fleas as she may have flea allergy dermatitis where a single flea bite causes a reaction where she will scratch until she is raw. Don't use human shampoos on her as they are not formulated for dogs skins. Most of the flea remedies available spread via the sebaceous glands on the skin so if you wash too frequently you strip this oil off their skins. Look at washing maximum once a month and see if there is any improvement. Also look at the bedding she's lying on and treat for fleas and avoid harsh detergents incase its a contact allergy to a soap product. If all else fails take her to the vet so he can see if there is another cause. Generally with a flea bite allergy the spot where dog is bitten looks like a "pimple" and is reaised and reddish.Hope this helps

Reply to felicity
Posted by: Sindi | 2007/12/11

My Maltese Puppy does the same thing. I know these doggies' skin is usually very sensitive. I am also wondering if there is anything I can do to improve itchy skin.

I guess we will have to wait to hear from CV.

Reply to Sindi