Question
Posted by: Excel | 2004/11/17

Puppy scratches hubby's car

Hi Doc,
We've had our puppy for two weeks now. The problem is he scratches my husbands car so bad that he had to pay R1300 to remove it, but he never goes near my car. He also eats his own pooh yaki yaki and this is so disgusting. How do we make him stop this habbits?

Hi Excel
You don't say how old your puppy is. Puppies change their teeth up until 6 months of age so they do like to chew things. Give him lots of chewy toys like cowhooves, rawhide, ostrich sinews, raw meaty bones etc. You can also spray your cars, and other valuable items that can't be easily removed, with a solution of aloe vera powder from the chemist. Do this when your puppy is not looking. Don't reprimand your puppy if it chews something as this may make it even more fun to do next time. Ignore the damages and clean up when he is not looking. Praise and reward him with treats when he does something good. Eating poo is a common thing for puppies and you should ignore it and just try to clean up his poo every day so he has less chance to get hold of it. Make sure he is getting enough food for his weight and deworm him regularly. From 8 weeks old your puppy should also be taken out daily for a little walk or at least a few minutes of sniffing on the pavement. He should be socialising with other dogs and puppies too, which helps to relieve energy and teach him manners around other dogs and people. Obedience training should start at about 4 months at home and 6 months at obedience school.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

3
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/11/19

Try to find a way to discourage it that doesn't involve hitting the dog. Perhaps a shake can would do?

Reply to Acineth
Posted by: pet lover | 2004/11/19

We have 3 cars of which 2 are red. For some reason my dog only used to scratch the red cars. He would never jump up against the white one. I do not know if it is the colour, but we used to hit him everytime he did it and he now stopped doing it. Teach him not to do it before he gets too big.

Reply to pet lover
Posted by: Right On! | 2004/11/17

Animals are brilliant judges of character. Best solution would be to remove your husband and his car - voila - problem solved.
Good puppy.

Reply to Right On!