Question
Posted by: flower | 2007/07/16

puppy scared

Hi everyone, me again. So i got my puppy last night and he is just the cutest thing ever. He is a sheep dog, only 6 weeks old, but he was very, very, scared. Now i know it was the first night without his mommy and brothers and sisters, so he slept with us, with all his toys and blanket and he slept like a dream till this morning, no crying at all. But my concern is today he just sits there. He plays a little bit, but he is so so scared. If i take him to the back yard and put him down on the grass he just lies flat and doesnt move. Is this normal for a puppy of this age? I dont want him to be scared so what can i do to encourage him to not be scared. How long should i expect this to last for. Other than that he eats like a pig and loves to sleep. He is perfect.

DAP should help settle him in.

2
Posted by: Chill | 2007/07/16

The pup is a little young - but should be ok, except that what you're labelling as fear is probably more a question of bewilderment.

Apart from what Carol's already said - try to let the puppy set the pace, without being all over him all the time. If he never gets the chance to explore things by himself, or without everyone being around, then he won't learn to stand on his own feet quickly. Keep an eye on him from a distance, but let him be, and he'll soon settle down.

I totally agree that you should NOT fuss him too much - what you see as comfort, he'll see as a reward for the behaviour that's making you do it, and he'll turn into a crybaby with so-called 'separation anxiety'. He needs time alone right from the beginning, so that he learns that the world isn't going to end - get him used to that NOW, or you'll regret it - and so will he.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2007/07/16

Poor little mite has been taken away from his mother and litter mates far too young.

Do a google on "fear stages" and puppy socilization.

You are going to have to make every single experience fun for him ... he must learn that life is a blast ...

When he lies flat like that dont make a fuss because then you are encouraging the fearful behaviour , sit on the grass or whatever a short distance away and play with a ball ..... he will get curious and come and see what you are doing .. when he comes to you this is the time to make a huge fuss about how clever he is .

Just be patient and it shouldnt last long .... it doesnt sound as if he was socilized with people much at all ... and the quicker you start dealing with it the better .... and as soon as he is old enough start puppy school.

Reply to Carol