Question
Posted by: Mandy | 2007/03/23

puppy rubbing bum???

my puppy keeps rubbing her bum on the carpet - why is she doing this?

It is due to some irritaiton around the back end. Most commonly in puppies due to worms, then fleas and lastly anal glands. Please have them wormed regularly.

7
Posted by: Chill | 2007/03/23

Do NOT attempt to empty the anal glands until your vet has shown you how, and until you find out more about it. Doing it wrong, or too often, is going to do more harm than good.

Please also check your dog's diet. You say the stools are hard and light coloured - sounds to me maybe she eats too many bones, or is getting too much calcium, or is simply on the wrong diet. The anal glands are supposed to empty by themselves, and this is aided by 'correct' bowel habits, so merely correcting the diet is quite likely to solve the problem.

Inspecting the stools for worms is pointless - if you know what to watch for you might identify some worms - tapeworms look like grains of rice - but to make sure the pup isn't infected needs examination under a microscope - pointless, provided you deworm regularly.

You don't say how old the puppy is - but I really would suggest it's worth a visit to the vet to discuss all these things. If anal glands are indeed the problem, then you could save yourself and the dog a chronic problem if you address it correctly now.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Blaah | 2007/03/23

Not dangerous but very uncomfortable

My mother's JR, suffers from block anal glands and has to go once a month to have them expressed. you can do it your self of course, but my mother's dog will only let the vet do it. When it get close to the time when the dog needs to have them expressed, she starts to get skin break outs/rashes on her tummy and if it is left too long it get really painful around that area and she will winge and cry.

you can look up blocked anal glands on the internet it will give you a description of the symptoms and how to treat it at home.

oh by the way it is very messy and smelly no jokes, so wear gloves and do it outside.

Please note that puppies should be de-wormed every three months

Reply to Blaah
Posted by: SUN | 2007/03/23

Also check to see if puppy has fleas around the tail and back of legs.

Reply to SUN
Posted by: mandy | 2007/03/23

she has had all her visits untill next year - is it dangorouse?

Reply to mandy
Posted by: Blaah | 2007/03/23

Some dogs have a problem with thier anal glands
and rubbing her bum on the carpet or grass helps her express the blockage.

it is a very irratating habit especially when they do it on the carpet.

When it is your puppy's next vist to the vet, perhaps ask him to have a look to see whether there is any problem with the anal gland.

Reply to Blaah
Posted by: mandy | 2007/03/23

yes she has been dewormed, have also checked her poo and there are no worms - its just a very light colour and hard

Reply to mandy
Posted by: Blaah | 2007/03/23

it could be becuase its anal gland is blocked
or
worms
have you had the puppy dewormed?

Reply to Blaah