Question
Posted by: Joan | 2006/11/10

puppy riding?

My female daxie is pregnant and our other dog a chihuahua cros that is four months old has recently starting riding her they are bothe females and my daxie has 51 days left in her pregnancy.
I was just wondering if this is normal and why they do it?

Yes it is normal for younger dogs to "experiment" and they usually grow out of it.

4
Posted by: Acineth | 2006/11/10

Most breeders have a whelping room. The mother and pups stay in there. I would however, allow the pup access to the babies if the mother will tolerate it. The puppies need to be stimulated from day 3. This means you should pick them up and hold them and stroke them, it will increase their ability to deal with life. The more they are exposed to in the first 12 weeks of life, the better their socialisation.

Reply to Acineth
Posted by: joan | 2006/11/10

Hi J, my daxie is very very laid back she has no problem with the pup even when she is sleeping the pup pounces on her and pulls her ears and skin and all the daxie does is roll over and moan and go back to sleep whilst the pup proceeds to chew her and play tug of war with her feet and ears etc has never bitten her, but i suppose hormones will kick in.
The only thing that has changed is that my daxie growls at the male daxie when he comes near me but she lets the pup come to me and she has of late gotten very affectionate with my man she even sleeps on his side of the bed which she never did before she was a real mommys girl till now.
What i would like to know is what is going to happen when she has her pups the male daxie is going home soon and what about my pup there is no way i can keep her away from the future mom when the pups are there will she put the pup in place herself or what should i do?

Reply to joan
Posted by: j | 2006/11/10

It is a normal thing with some dogs. What I would suggest that you do it distract her from doing it. Make a noise or something. Be careful not to call and make a big fuss as she may eventually think that this is a good sign so carry on doing it. All I am thinking of is if she still has 51 days to go she is going to get upset with the little one and eventually snap at her and it may just cause damage to her. At the moment the mommy is still very mobile and okay but in a few days down the line this is not something that she may accept.

Reply to j
Posted by: Acineth | 2006/11/10

This is normal, and in this case is more than likely related to heirarchy.

Reply to Acineth