Posted by: Gatvol | 2008/09/17

Puppy Problems

I am very frustrated and tired. We' ve had our bulldog puppy for six weeks now, she is 3 months old. It feels like she hates us and does not like our flat (with garden).

She has access to inside and outside all day, we both work from 9 - 5, but visit her during lunch for an hour. We recently got married and she stays with my folks in another town, she was apparently so happy there, not naughtly, nothing.

We are back and she is extremely naughtly - doesn' t listen to us, jumps on the couches. We reprimand her every time, she looks at us and jumps ont he couch again. This happens 3 times.

She was crying in her basket all night long. We had her at a puppy daycare and she was anxious all the time, so we stopped that.

I dunno what to do anymore, feels like she hates us and hates living with us.

Dear Gatvol

I would strongly try the puppy daycare again. A DAP diffuser can aslo settle her down in your house. Unfortunately the naughty stages are still to come. Around 6-8 months old they can be like teenagers. I think puppy daycare would be her best chance behaving at her best.

Posted by: Chill | 2008/09/17

A three-month-old puppy is still a baby, she doesn' t know what to do or how to behave. Plus, it sounds like she' s already had quite a number of disruptions in her life.

Are you taking her to puppy school? I strongly recommend this - both of you will learn a lot, and you' ll find out how better to deal with her.

You say you feel like this pup hates you. I can assure you that she doesn' t - but: are you maybe conveying the same feeling to her by expecting too much? Raising a puppy is a lot of work, and your best chance of success lies in understanding her, so that you can work WITH her instead of imposing rules on her that she doesn' t understand.

Most of all, you need to love her, and teach her what she needs to know in the kindest way possible. It worries me that you say that before, she was happy and not naughty - frankly, it is simply not POSSIBLE for a very tiny puppy to be ' not naughty'  - they have to explore the world, and in doing so, learn how it works - they aren' t born knowing all this stuff.

Maybe you' re in over your head - if you are, there is nothing shameful about this, but you do need to acknowledge it, so that you can either get some help, or maybe decide to find someone with a lot of puppy experience to take her over from you.

Reply to Chill