Question
Posted by: hilary | 2007/02/26

PUPPY NOT EATING

I have a mixed breed terrier puppy about 4 months old.
I have offered him puppy pellets, tinned puppy food and he will not touch either. He grudgingly eats mince which I mix with milk and a little pro nutro or maybe I coax him to eat some cooked chicken. He is driving me insane - otherwise healthy and bright.
I would like him to stay on pellets - what should I do? Just put them out and hope he eats out of sheer hunger? I have two other dogs and their pellets are available to them at all times.

Please have him checked by your vet to make sure there is nothing wrong with him. If he is well then one can go the route of feeding him pellets mixed with canned food intitially and then slowly change to pellets only. If you are using a reputable food formulated for his stage of growth that will be fine.

1
Posted by: Acineth | 2007/02/26

You shouldn't leave the food out all the time. The dogs need to know food comes from you. It may be that having food so readily available has caused a problem. Also, it could be a leadership issue. The dog is using not eating to control you. Have him checked at the vet to make sure he is healty. Then feed him at set times, and remove the food after 5 minutes if he hasn't started eating.

Reply to Acineth