Question
Posted by: S | 2008/01/15

Puppy LOVES to shower!

hi,

My puppy loves water. When i'm in the shower, it will bark until i open the door and he can get in.He climbs in himself. As well as in the bath. He's not afraid of any water. Is this normal? I also have 2 adult cats and one kitten(Nikita) and my dutchhund puppy and the kitten eats together and sleeps together, almost unseparable. He doesn't want to eat dog food and eats with the cat. What can I do? Even the cat eat his bones that we give him after dinner. She growls like a dog when we want to take it away from her. I know this sounds very confusing, but I just need to know if my puppy is actually okay? What can I do so he will only eat his dog food? Is cat food unhealthy for him?

If there is food down the dog will eat if even if it is for the cats. Most dogs prefer cat food for some reason. It is usually necessary to raise the cat food so the dog's can't access it. Some dogs really enjoy water so it is not unusual.

4
Posted by: S | 2008/01/16

Thank you all for the advice and comment! It is a little dachshund. I do feed him his normal dog food, but then I have to put it out for the kitten as well, because they only eat out of the same bowl even if i put the kitten on the table to eat. She jumps off to eat with my puppy. My puppy also gets his Bob Martin pill every day.
Thank you all! Have a great morning!

Reply to S
Posted by: Chill | 2008/01/15

If by 'dutchhound' you mean dachshund, do NOT put one of those big plastic buckets outside for him to play in - if he can't get out, he'll drown.

Cat food is made to be more flavourful than dogfood, because the smell of catfood is more important to them. So, dogs do love it, and it is obviously not harmful, but it is not formulated to meet the nutritional requirements of dogs, and so the pup does need a good quality commercial puppy food as his main source of nutrition.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2008/01/15

My two boxers are both ducks ... quite normal

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Mandi | 2008/01/15

Hi S,

Yes, your puppy is completely normal. What breed is he? A lot of breeds are more prone to like water. My Lab is constantly in the pool and my JR is constantly in the pond.
Maybe you can put one of those big plastic buckets outside for him to play in?
Catfood has a higher fat content than dog food, so dogs eating cat food will quickly become overweight. See if you can feed them seperatly and just the quantities they need, so there isn't any left overs. Also, when kitten gets a bit bigger you can put the food on a higher surface so puppy can't get to it.

Hope this helps!

Reply to Mandi