Question
Posted by: Voidy | 2004/02/07

Puppy getting what looks like a seizure

Hi there,
Early this morning we woke up because our 9 week old Foxterrier puppy - Peanut - was moaning in a funny way...like a painful - pleading way. It was laying on it's side and kept on trying to move it's head towards his tail, while "running" with his front paws in the air, this was at 6 o clock, he kept doing it and seems to try and stand up and then fall over. He keeps on doing this same movements even when holding him and talking to him...it was terrible and heartbreaking seeing it...we immediately took him to the emergency vet and she said it does'nt look good...they gave him some injections and drew blood for tests.
She said it is possible that he has the canine distemper virus. I read all over the internet and the symptoms that they describe never occured in Peanut. He was jumping around, eating barking and being normal till this morning...no diarea, nasal discharge ...nothing wrong. She said it cannot be poison...but I noticed his tummy seemed swollen, I mentioned it to her but she said that it is not poison. 12' o clock I phoned them to hear of any news...they gave him more injections, but he is STILL moaning and moving around uncontrollably...can a seizure be so long? They say I must phone again tomorrow afternoon at 5'o clock..
What can be wrong with my puppy ... can it be that it maybe fell off of something and hit it's head... can it be poison...or some other thing that he chewed ... we searched the house for anything that can give us a clue as to what the problem can be...nothing ... there was a glass turned over on the carpet near the chair...we had some people over, and I believe it might have had some brandy in it ...I remember the glass being about 1/4 full of a single brandy with coke when we went to bed, but I really doubt that this could cause it....or can it? ... I really love this pup ...and would appreciate any help.
Mark

It certainly sounds like your puppy is having a seizure, from which it is not recovering (called status epilepticus). There are many many different causes for this, including poisoning, virus infections, bacterial infections of the brain, trauma to the brain, worms, very low blood sugar, dysfunction of any of the organs, or purely severe epilepsy. The treatment obviously depends on the cause. It is true however, that the longer the patient remains in the seizure, the poorer the prognosis and the smaller the chance of survival with out damage to the brain.

Please let us know what happened, we are all holding thumbs for you.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

1
Posted by: Voidy | 2004/02/11

Hi there, The puppy is ok now...they eventually treated him for trauma to the brain...I think he may have fallen off the kids bed and hit his head against the bed cuboard. Does this mean he will be more likely to get trauma again?, or are all puppies like this. He play's very rough tho, and we're trying hard not to get him so excited because we're scared he'll get hurt again.

Thank you for replying, I think you're doing a great service to the community. I've found your forum to be very educational and now know things that I never would've known before.

Mark

Reply to Voidy