Question
Posted by: Sindi | 2008/01/07

Puppy gets Car Sick.

My puppy is 16 weeks old and everytime I drive with him somewhere he seems to get sick, despite us trying many different things to prevent it.

At first we thought it may be the aircon in the car and drove without using it the next time, but Lupo still got sick.
I have tried putting him in his 'mandjie' on the back seat and then again on my lap, but that did not seem to work either.

Is this something that will pass as he gets older, will he eventually get use to driving in a car? Is there anything else we can try to prevent him from getting sick?
My other dog LOVES traveling with us and I don't remember him getting sick as a puppy. I really hope that Lupo will also get use to it and enjoy it as much as Billi does!

Your advise will be much appreciated.

He may grow out of it. How far do you travel? You can use Rescue Remedy to relax him a bit. Is it associated with eating?

4
Posted by: Sindi | 2008/01/09

Thanx Chill!

That is very interesting!! I have never heard of that, but am willing to try anything at this point.

I suppose he will spend the entire journey trying to bite on it and get it off to play with and completely forget about getting sick. Hehehe

Thanx again!!

Reply to Sindi
Posted by: Chill | 2008/01/07

You might like to look up that wrapping technique which has been discussed on here before. It's a way of putting a strip of cloth, or bandage, onto the dog, which is said to help prevent travel sickness - basically, you take a long strip, and put the halfway point across the dog's chest, bring the ends up round his back and cross them over, and then back underneath the abdomen - a sort of figure of 8. Fasten it there - it must fit snugly but not tightly.

I have no idea how it works, but people report that it's quite effective - it certainly can't do any harm.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Sindi | 2008/01/07

Dear CyberVet and WR, thank you for your replies.

To answer your question CV, he mostly travels with us to my parents who live about 35 kilos away and he gets sick about 15 minutes into the journey. We don't make stops along the way as WR suggested, but I will definitely do that from now on. I will also try the Rescue Remedy you mentioned. I try not to have him eat anything before we leave, the journey is not very long so I take his foodies with and give to him on the other side.

I would really hope for him to grow out of it. I will do what you guys have suggested and see how it goes.

Thanx again!! :)

Reply to Sindi
Posted by: WR | 2008/01/07

Hi Sindi,

Yes, it is a matter of getting him used to the travelling - just a tip though - plan the trips well in advance I do not feed him before you go travelling - make frequent stops, and try and keep the time spent travelling to a minimum - slowly increase the time and eventually he should be ok.

Ciao.

Reply to WR