Question
Posted by: Ice | 2007/11/28

Puppy foods

While visiting the vet I was informed that I should not feed my pup any tined puppy food as this will only cause tummy problems for them.

I told the vet what kind (make) I was using and according to the can lables this was specially formulated for puppies and believe me it is from a reputable manufacturer.

I only did this as she was still to small to eat the mini puppy chunks, she only has this in the morning and evenings and not even alot of it - about 3 teaspoons per serving and she nibbles on the mini chunks during the day.

But the vet still said he would suggest it to be stopped - this does not make sense as i am sure that this food was endorsed by a vet.

Any sugestions ??

Puppy food formulated for them and manufactured by a premium brand food manufacturer should not be harmful to puppies.

1
Posted by: Chill | 2007/11/28

I very much doubt that your puppy is too small to eat the puppy chunks - if she is, then she's too young to be away from her mom! If you have to, you can soak the chunks in some warm water, or milk and water, to soften them - but don't kid yourself, even tiny puppies have quite strong jaws.

The reason your vet said to stop the canned stuff is in all likelihood because the puppy chunks are actually a fully balanced dogfood, specifically for puppies, and if you give the puppy other foods you are actually UNbalancing the nutrients contained in the chunks. It doesn't mean the canned stuff is evil - it's just not necessary, and probably better for the puppy to stick to the chunks alone.

Reply to Chill